Permanent Residence

This status grants people who are not Canadian citizens the right to live and work in Canada without any time limit on their stay.

Express Entry (Federal Skilled Workers Program)

It is an online system that is used to manage applications for permanent residence from skilled workers.

How the program works

Canada ranks candidates in the express entry pool using a points-based system called the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS). They select the highest-ranking candidates from the pool and invite them to apply for permanent residence.

How to qualify for the program

Before applying, you need to obtain 67 or more points on a 100 point scale system, known as the Federal skilled worker points. There is a selection factor that assesses and assigns applicants interested in Express Entry an overall score out of 100.

The criteria for the point system are language, age, education, work experience, arranged employment in Canada, and adaptability.

How to apply

Canadian Experience Class

The CEC is a permanent residence category for people with skilled work experience in Canada. It was developed for temporary foreign workers and foreign graduates with qualifying Canadian work experience.

The Canadian Experience Class program is one out of three economic programs within the online Express Entry system.

Minimum Requirements

How Canadian Work Experience is calculated

Your skilled work experience must be paid work including paid wages or earned commission. Volunteer work or unpaid internships are not counted.

For part-time work, you can work more or less than 15 hours/week as long as it adds up to 1,560 hours. You can work more than 1 part-time job to get the hours you need to apply!

Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs)

Each province and territory has its own “streams” (immigration programs that target certain groups) and requirements. For example, in a program stream, provinces and territories may target: students, business people, skilled workers, or semi-skilled workers

This program is for workers who

  • have the skills, education, and work experience to contribute to the economy of a specific province or territory
  • want to live in that province, and
  • want to become permanent residents of Canada

To be nominated by a province or territory, you must follow the instructions on their website and contact them directly. The province of Quebec does not have a provincial nominee program.

How is it different from express entry?

PNP Canada programs allow Canadian provinces to nominate individuals for immigration to their province based on criteria set by the provincial government. Successful applicants obtain a provincial nomination, which may then be used to apply to Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) for permanent residence.

Provinces and territories that operate a Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) can nominate candidates through the Express Entry pool, in addition to nominating foreign nationals to the existing paper-based process.

The Business Program

If you are interested in doing business in Canada, you may be eligible for a permanent residence through the Canada Business Immigration Program.

Who qualifies for this program?

Individuals with business/managerial experience and relatively high net-worth may apply for a Canadian permanent residence under the Canada Business Immigration Program in one of the following sub-categories:

  • Investors
  • Entrepreneurs
  • Self Employed Persons
  • PNP Business Programs
  • Corporate Immigration

Eligibility criteria

For your application to be eligible for processing, you must:

  • have received a Letter of Support from a designated entity
  • meet the language requirements
  • have sufficient settlement funds (transferable and available funds, free of debts or other obligations and excluding any investment made by a designated entity into their business)

Test your eligibility!

Take our FREE online test

Work Permit

The Canadian work permit visa allows business people, permanent workers, temporary workers, students, and others to work in Canada.

Types of work permits

Eligibility requirements 

Post-graduation work permit

You may be eligible for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP) if you graduated from a designated learning institution (DLI) and want to stay in Canada temporarily to work.